My friend Joel is getting married in November, and a while back he asked a bunch of us for some recommendations on good love songs that might work during the recessional.
The creative brief was that the song had to be semi-modern (nothing from 80’s or earlier) and that it would be performed by a female vocalist and a guitarist. Their three finalists were “Mass Romantic” by the New Pornographers, “Hotel Yorba” by the White Stripes, and “Kodachrome” by Paul Simon (which obviously breaks the 80’s rule).
Imagining any of these songs sung in an acoustic fashion while the newly married couple rushes down the aisle is an interesting exercise for me, so I took him up on his challenge. I took semi-modern to mean indie rock, but I also tossed in a few classic nuggets.
Here’s the mix-tape I came up with which includes their finalists:
- Danny’s Song by Loggins & Messina
- Gold In The Air Of Summer by Kings Of Convenience
- To Be Alone With You by Sufjan Stevens
- Such Great Heights by Iron & Wine
- Our Way To Fall by Yo La Tengo
- I Will Follow You into the Dark by Death Cab For Cutie
- If You Find Yourself Caught in Love by Belle & Sebastian
- Elevator Love Letter by Stars
- Kodachrome by Paul Simon
- Such Great Heights by The Postal Service
- Break My Body by Pixies
- Mass Romantic by The New Pornographers
- Do You Realize?? by The Flaming Lips
- Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes
- Sleepwalking by Modest Mouse
- The Past and Pending by The Shins
- Fresh Feeling by Eels
- Hello Sunshine by Super Furry Animals
- History of Lovers by Iron & Wine
- by The Luckiest by Ben Folds
- Moment In The Sun by Clem Snide
- In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
What are your favorite indie love songs?